Thursday, November 3, 2011

Tim Wilkes writes: "If I were green!' A very thoughtful and powerful read.

 Verne Strickland / Blogmaster

 Tim Wilkes

Tim Wilkes, NC/7 Candidate for Congress


By Tim Wilkes on Wednesday, November 2, 2011 at 10:20pm
 If I were green; it would not change who I am, my character, my work ethic or my value as a person. What would a skin colored green change?

It might change how people treat me, it would indeed make some stare or look at me strange and could even make it hard to get a job but do I really care about someone who would let such a difference affect the way they treat me? Simply, No, I could care less about people who are so small that they cannot see beyond my skin color long enough to find out how hard I work, who I am at the very core of my being or are so short sighted that they will never know how I may have made their life different or even better.

Why would I ask such questions? Many in 2008 voted for our President because of his skin color, many have denied others jobs because of how they look and treated people less than human because they were different. Martin Luther King was right when he said, “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

From a young age growing up, my first time away from home in college and in the Army I did not tolerate prejudice or hateful words spoken by anyone and one of my pet peeves is to hear someone claim “Racism”. Since many of my family and friends call me Captain Obvious- I might as well say the obvious, we are the “Human Race”, skin color is nothing more than ethnicity and does not designate someone non-human.

 It is time we stop with the hyphenated Americans, with the separation of our people by skin color, by wealth class or social class or the gender of a person. If we wish for our communities, our state or our nation to succeed then we must stop the divisions and unite to once again make America great and to dig ourselves out of the ditch and give our children the chance for a successful future.

This is why I am running for congress! To unite those interested in making America great without regard to the next election, my ego or bank account and to make sure those who are hurting our nation through these acts are pointed out and held accountable. If you agree that we can make America great then I ask you to join me or a candidate who will represent you and make our country great by representing your interests and not their own interests.

Your faithful servant,
Tim Wilkes                                                                                                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment