Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Bill Maher: "Get over" the idea of American exceptionalism. Not likely, bozo.

Verne Strickland Blogmaster / June 12, 2012   

GET OVER THE IDEA OF AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM? I DON'T THINK SO, MR. BILL. WHAT I'M HAVING NO PROBLEM AT ALL WITH IS GETTING OVER YOU. IF I DIDN'T KNOW YOU BETTER, I'D SAY YOU ARE A POMPOUS ASS, AN ENEMY OF AMERICAN PRIDE AND PROGRESS, BORDERING ON BEING TREASONOUS. IS THIS YOUR SCHTICK? GET A LIFE. SOMEWHERE ELSE.  




On Friday's broadcast of the online-only "Overtime" portion of HBO's "Real Time," host Bill Maher explained his disdain for the phrase "American exceptionalism," lamenting we are a stupid country. This led Maher to explain why he thinks Mormonism will be America's religion in the next 100 years because, according to him, "It's a stupid religion and a stupid country, they were made for each other." Transcript below.

Question: Would it be better if the country just got over this notion of American exceptionalism?

Bill Maher, HBO: Oh, I think it would. This is one reason why I say, and people laugh at me, but I always say in a hundred years this country will be Mormon. It's a stupid religion and a stupid country, they were made for each other and I tell you, one of the things that Americans are going to love about Mormonism, when they find about it, is, first of all, Jesus is an American, and they love the idea that Mormon's embrace, more than anybody, that 'we are the super-duper star spangled best country ever and that if we have any flaw it is that we feel other countries feel bad because our awesomeness is so overwhelming.' But I think we should get over it.

REAL CLEAR POLITICS

No comments:

Post a Comment