Tuesday, January 29, 2013

GOD SPOKE TO ME OUT OF LOVE AND MERCY WHEN I NEEDED IT MOST

When the words "Let Not Thy Heart Be Troubled" were uttered by the earthly choir, the voices and the music were transformed into stunning celestial song like the voices of a heavenly choir. I was transfixed. It only lasted for a few moments, but I knew that God had spoken to me in a very 
special way.






By Verne Strickland, January 29, 2013

The Blaze is running a series on God speaking to us personally. I have had such an experience. I wouldn't be revealing this were it not for this series.

Durrene and I and our three boys had lived in Raleigh for several years, and attended a Presbyterian Church. She was found to have lung cancer, and was hospitalized at Duke Medical Center, where she was scheduled for surgery.

Alone at home, but for our boys, I fell on my knees each night and morning asking God for his mercy, and for healing. At the end of each prayer, I added, emulating our Lord in the Garden of Gethsemane, "Nevertheless, not my will but Thine be done." The weather was atrocious, for days, with dark foreboding skies and vicious rain, but I would drive to Durham to be by her bedside.

One night my innocent little girl was sitting on the bed in her hospital room, smiling, and asked if I would take a picture of her. I made an excuse. It broke my heart. I could not bear to capture her like this the night before her surgery.

She survived it, and, immediately after receiving the news, I went to a little Chapel in the hospital to express my thanks. I wept unashamedly at God's goodness and mercy.

That was only the first sign of trouble. Within weeks a tumor was then found in her liver. This took us quite by surprise. It was a real blow to us. She remained at Duke. I visited daily. On Sundays I went alone to the church in Raleigh to seek God's counsel and protection.

Everything was normal on the morning at church that I experienced a wonderful gift. I stood with the congregation as the choir launched into a wonderful hymn, which I knew well. When the words "Let Not Thy Heart Be Troubled" were uttered by the earthly choir, the voices and the music were transformed into stunning celestial song like the voices of a heavenly choir. 


I was transfixed. It only lasted for a few moments, but I knew that God had spoken to me in a very special way. I will never forget it. I rushed home, where Durrene was resting on that particular morning. I shared the experience with her through tears of gratitude and wonder. She was so moved.

We trusted that we had received a sign from God, and took Him at His word.
The liver tumor was found to be a mass of blood vessels -- ugly and menacing, but totally benign. We knew our Lord had blessed us in special way -- not because we deserved it, but, because in his love and mercy, He knew we truly needed His blessed assurance.

He speaks to all of us, and often. He has given us a whole book -- the Holy Bible -- where his plan for each of us can be found. I look forward with such anticipation and longing to hear the voices of His angels in Heaven.

God is no stranger. We were known to Him before His work in Creation was accomplished. He will reach down to converse with us if we seek Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment