Thursday, October 2, 2014

EBOLA IN THE U.S. "REAL SORRY. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN." TOO LATE FOR THAT.

It now seems probable that U.S. Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan lied on his health screening questionnaire before leaving West Africa. Whatever. U.S. authorities have really dropped the ball, and it is possible that these missteps may be the tinder box that lights a runaway wildfire of Ebola on the U.S. mainland.
Ebola in the US, US Ebola diagnosis, Ebola, Ebola in America, Ebola, Liberia Ebola, traveler Ebola, Ebola outbreak, Ebola prevention, Ebola spread, Ebola in the US, Ebola in Dallas, Ebola in Texas

"REAL SORRY. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN." TOO LATE. THE GENIE IS OUT OF THE BOTTLE.

By Verne Strickland  October 2, 2014




The usual excuse is -- "Real sorry. We'll make sure this never happens again." But the genie is out of the bottle, the cat is out of the bag, and we will never have another "first chance" at prevention of Ebola in the U.S. again. Unforgivable errors at a time like this. The possible consequences are too horrid to be contemplated at this time.

Tonight some new wrinkles bestirred themselves in my brain. One person interviewed on CNN said that the first line of defense in the U.S. needs to be at the ports of entry.

This presumes that mistakes may have been made overseas, when a person who is throwing up on the floor in the departure lounge in Monrovia is trying to board an airplane to the U.S. That is an overwhelming possibility.

I want that person enveloped immediately in a virus-impervious sheet, rolled up on the floor, then secured with gaffer's tape, and the whole package sprayed liberally with Lysol or Scrubbing Bubbles and whisked away to somewhere else. I'm not asking where.

While I exaggerate, that scene describes the kind of caution that needs to exerted here. This is a serious mess.

I do not doubt that it will be long before Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and Rev. William Barber of  NC will be standing in the arrival lounge at JFK with signs reading -- "Don't profile a brother" just because he black. The fact the man can't speak English, is running a high fever, and says he's nauseous should be factored into the equation.

Well, I've had my fun with an emergency that should not be treated lightly. One of my concerns is that politically-correct inclinations on the part of some may make it tougher for us to be not only vigilant, but wise as well, in taking this global threat seriously.

Another concern is how native Africans may be loathe to take maximum precautions at a time like this. If this happens -- and it already is -- the U.S. should be serious and unyielding -- you, my African brother -- may be careless and unconcerned. But, by damn, we won't.

From my Facebook page:

Kathy Harbin Scruggs This is one time I pray you are wrong, my friend. It is very troublesome.... They are trying not to cause panic, and being lax in the process
  • Verne Strickland Kathy: I take no offense at that. In fact, I gratefully join you in prayer. I don't wish the worst outcome. I of course wish just the opposite. Don't misjudge me just because I bring fire and brimstone to America's huddled masses. I do that all the time. But my mission is to inform. I see that as a noble cause. Don't indict the messenger, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment